Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Response to Digital Divide

Okay. So we had talked about the digital divide in class. We kinda of went over pros and cons of the program from a national level, which was interesting to hear, since there seems to be a relatively diverse group of students in the course when looking at it from an economic and profession angle.

I can see as a future educator and artist how it would make the work that I do in the future more accessible to the world. I can in the same thought though, see how it might hamper how things work as well. For people who have not been exposed to the internet as much as American consumers have there are some tips, tricks, and risks that they might encounter without someone giving the warning that they need to be careful.

By this I mean scam spam and such, as well as the hope that there are really get rich quick schemes that could bring their family out of poverty. There is also the whole fable that if its published online its true. With this there is a whole 'nother can of worms that can be opened - I already know of relationships that have been ruined, etc. because someone has chosen to believe what was in type rather than the words coming out of their best friends mouths.

I digressed, I apologize. I'll get back to the real question/issue at hand.

Back to looking at it from the idea of equality, I think that over all it is a wonderful idea that the entire world be connect. That regardless of a person's nationality (and thus location) or their financial status, they can connect with like minded individuals across the globe.

Even though fear is hindering the sense of global unity, I think in the long run it is going to be for the best and that by allowing people who wouldn't otherwise afford it to feel like they belong - then I don't care how much more I have to give, so that others can benefit. Wouldn't you want someone to do the same for you??

No comments: